Northern Cyprus, officially the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, is a self-declared state that comprises the northeastern part of the island of Cyprus. Northern Cyprus is considered by the international community as occupied territory of the Republic of Cyprus. The official language is Turkish, but English is also widely spoken as a second language.
Student Visa Requirements for Study in Cyprus
The Cyprus Universities has made it easier for all international students to acquire visa for easy and safe travel overseas. The student visa requirements entail;
- Every international student to have a relevant permit that is provided by the migration department.
- The student visa are given to the full time international students.
- All foreign students has to get a new residence permit in Cyprus.
- The international students not from European countries require a student visa to get into Cyprus.
- You need a photocopy of the passport
- There is the requirement of proof of funds to cover the living costs during the stay (Cyprusuni.com, an affiliate educational consultancy provides easy-to-get scholarships for international students to study in Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) and the Cyprus International University (CIU). Most of the scholarships covers the living cost during your stay in North Cyprus. click to find out more about their scholarship offers)
- You need a certificate of admission from the university
- You need the university receipts of the amount paid to the university.
List of Low Tuition Universities in Cyprus
- University of Cyprus
- Cyprus University of Technology Limassol
- Cyprus Science University
- Open University of Cyprus
- European University Cyprus
- Eastern Mediterranean University
- Near East University
- Neapolis University Paphos
- Frederick University
- University of Nicosia
- Girne American University
- European University of Lefke
- Cyprus International University
- University of Kyrenia
- British University of Nicosia
- University of Mediterranean
Cost of Living in Cyprus
Average the cost of living for international students is in-between €300-€650 monthly. Feeding is cheap, taxis charge fairly, and once you start acquainting with the locals you’ll barely pay a dime for the nightlife.
Since 1951, the rail network in Cyprus has not been functioning, buses are fairly expensive but readily available. Though people prefer to use the taxis because reliable routes can be limited, in Cyprus, groceries are cheaper when compared to their cost in the United Kingdom, especially when it involves meat and fresh fruits, restaurant meals are generally cheaper as well. Prices of things vary and this depends mostly on the producer or the suppliers.
- Gas £1.21
- Taxi per km £1
- Two-bedroom house (furnished) £620
- Two-bedroom house (Unfurnished) £570
- Two-bedroom apartment (furnished) £590
- Two-bedroom apartment (unfurnished) £550
- Eggs (Dozen) £2.50
- Milk per litre £1.30
- Rice per kg £1.60
- Bread £1.40
- Chicken breast per kg £7.50
- Restaurant Meals
- Big Mac £6
- Soda (330ml) £1.25
- Cappuccino £2.90
- Local beer £3
- Household Utilities per month
- Rate per mobile call £0.10
- Uncapped internet £35
- Basic household utilities £120
Admission requirements for entry into an undergraduate programme of any study is a recognised High School Leaving Certificate.
- Higher Secondary School Certificate
- Higher Secondary Certificate
- Matriculation Examination Certificate
- Upper Secondary
- Secondary School
- High School or Senior High School Leaving Certificate
- General Certificates of Secondary Education (GCSE)
- Secondary Education Certificate
- Senior School Certificate
- Note; All courses are lectured in English.
For Undergraduate Studies
Students must be in possession of secondary school leaving certificate in order to qualify for admission into the bachelor degree programme in Cyprus tertiary education institutions.
- copy of Secondary School Certificate (scanned)
- copy international travel passport (scanned)
- A copy of proof of English Proficiency if any
- Full Transcript for transfer students
- passport-sized photograph (one)
For Masters and PhD/Doctorate Studies
Students must hold a valid master’s degree for admission into the PhD programme and also an appropriate undergraduate degree for admission into the master degree.
- Copies of diplomas received from a tertiary institution or university (scanned)
- Graduate Program English Language Requirement (optional)
- An official transcript of all university-level courses taken in previous university.
- 6 by 5(cm) passport-sized photographs (two).
- Documentation of scores received for English and academic proficiency exams/tests. (if available)
- Photocopy of the student’s international travel passport.
- Application Procedure for Higher Education Institutions
- Language Requirements- Students are required to have a valid level of knowledge in either English or Greek language or both depending on the language of the academic programme.
- Copy of birth certificate
- Academic transcripts for masters & PhD students
- 6 by 5(cm) passport-sized photographs (two).
- Receipt of tuition payment.
- Greek language knowledge certificate (if any).
- A letter of Acceptance issued by the tertiary education institution.
- Curriculum vitae which must include your name, phone contact details, educational backgrounds, level of professional experience (if any), academic honours, awards and research publications (if any), leisure activities or hobbies, also references should be included.
- College or school leaving certificate.
- Signed letter of recommendation from two or more reputable people.
- Financial stability evidence.
- PhD programme master thesis.
- Medical examination report which includes TB, X-Ray, and Hepatitis B etc. Also international students are required to tender a medical examination certificate or report of fitness to the tertiary education institution of interest.
- A research project proposal which will be done during the doctorate/PhD studies.
Tuition Fees for International Students
The tuition fee of the Masters/PhD postgraduate programs is between 2000 and 2500 Euros which depends on the course of study. The tuition fee for undergraduate students is below 3500 Euros per annum except when the course of study is Pharmacy, which the annual cost is about 7000 Euros.